- 8 frozen turkey meatballs from Trader Joe’s
- 1 cup dried barley
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 English cucumber, peeled
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- ¾ cup roasted red peppers, sliced (from a jar)
- 4 oz fat free feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bring broth and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add barley and simmer on medium heat for 30-35 minutes.
- Chop onion and soak in vinegar to reduce pungency of onion.
- Place meatball in a small pot with ¼ inch of water, steaming meatballs for about 4 minutes or until heated through.
- Chop all veggies and add to a large bowl along with the feta cheese, balsamic vinegar, and spices.
- Add barley once it’s cooked to the veggies and enjoy while hot.
For more salad recipes, check out:
Gluten-Free Walnut Pesto Quinoa Salad
Oregon Summer Salad with Grilled Salmon
Crab Salad with Healthy Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
Wakame Seaweed Salad
Barley Salad with Turkey Meatballs
Star Spangled Quinoa Salad
Tahini-Lemon Kale Salad with Apples
Spinach Spring Salad with Herbs de Provence Dressing
Avocado, Mango, and Cucumber Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Chickpea Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette
Grilled Romaine Lettuce With Anchovy Vinaigrette And Blue Cheese
By: Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN