What better way to celebrate Brussels sprouts season than with this Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Chickpea Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette recipe? It’s perfect for the fall season and can be a complete meal on its own or a tasty side salad. This vegan, gluten-free salad is packed with almost 14 grams of plant-based protein and about 13 grams of fiber. You’ll be satisfied and satiated as you enjoy the crunch from the crisp Brussels sprouts and sliced almonds. The cranberries offer a sweetness to coincide with the savory from the chickpeas. Get ready to dive into deliciousness.
Are you curious about what constitutes a “healthy” salad? I break it down by defining The Ultimate Healthy Salad in my past post.
- Learn what ingredients and macronutrients are needed for a super healthy salad.
- Find out what portions of the different foods are needed to optimize your goals.
- Get some of my favorite homemade salad dressing recipes (that are super simple to make).
- 4 cups shaved or thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 4 heaping cups mixed greens
- 1½ cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Make the dressing:
- Peel the shallot and mince.
- Peel the garlic and mince.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Make the salad:
- Slice the stems off the Brussels sprouts. Shred the Brussels sprouts by thinly chopping them.
- Drain the chickpeas from the can. Rinse the chickpeas to remove excess sodium.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, mixed greens, chickpeas, almonds, and cranberries in a large bowl. Toss lightly to mix.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss and serve.
For more scrumptious salad recipes, check out:
Gluten-Free Walnut Pesto Quinoa Salad
Oregon Summer Salad with Grilled Salmon
Crab Salad with Healthy Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
Barley Salad with Turkey Meatballs
Star Spangled Quinoa Salad
Tahini-Lemon Kale Salad with Apples
Spinach Spring Salad with Herbs de Provence Dressing
Avocado, Mango, and Cucumber Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
Wakame Seaweed Salad
Grilled Romaine Lettuce With Anchovy Vinaigrette And Blue Cheese
By: Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN