One of my favorite ways to celebrate the 4th of July – in addition to fiestas and fireworks with friends and family – is with festive, flag-inspired food like this Star Spangled Quinoa Salad.
Quinoa’s versatility shines in this flavorful side featuring sweet red strawberries, tangy blueberries, and white slivers of almonds. The berries are packed with vitamins and antioxidants. The quinoa and nuts are full of fiber and plant-based protein. The ground flaxseed adds a boost of omega-3s. The dish is brought together with a pop of lemon and a burst of honey. Perfect for a patriotic picnic. Happy Birthday, America! Happy 4th of July!
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 ½ cups fresh strawberries (about 15 large strawberries)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about the juice from one large lemon)
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp flaxseed meal
- 1 pinch of salt
- Optional garnish: fresh mint leaves
- Add 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water to a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook quinoa for 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork when done.
Meanwhile, wash, de-stem, and slice strawberries. Prepare dressing by whisking together fresh-squeezed lemon juice, honey, balsamic vinegar, ground flaxseed, and salt. Adjust taste to make more sour (add lemon) or sweet (add honey).
Add strawberries, blueberries, almonds, and dressing to the cooled quinoa, mixing gently to combine. Garnish with fresh mint and serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
For more 4th of July recipes and posts, check out:
Red, White, and Blue Toast Recipe
Festive Red White Blue Bark Chocolate Recipe
3-Ingredient Whipped Cream Stuffed Strawberries
10 4th of July Recipes You Won’t Want to Miss
How to Have the Best 4th of July Block Party