When crab is in season, it is the best fresh. I LOVE making this Crab Salad With Healthy Homemade Thousand Island Dressing. It features the crab in the best way so you can truly taste the richness of the natural, buttery crab meat. The thousand island dressing is made with non fat Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise for extra protein and a lot less fat. So you’ll be eating this guilt-free salad happily. Get your antioxidants on with all the veggies included, too. We like pairing the salad with some crusty San Francisco sourdough bread. And if you don’t do bread, not a problem. This salad is divine on its own.
*I love using my Kyocera knife to chop the veggies. The ceramic blade is always sharp and never dulls for a clean, easy slice.
- 1 pound lump crab meat, cooked
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green bell pepper, de-seeded
- 1 small jar (6.5 oz) marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 scallions
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sweet pickle relish
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chop the lettuce. Slice the tomato into wedges. Peel the cucumber and slice into thin rounds. Dice the green bell pepper. Chop the artichoke hearts and scallions.
- Mix all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a small bowl.
- Divide all the vegetables among the four salad bowls.
- Each bowl gets lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, green bell pepper, artichoke hearts, and scallions.
- Top each bowl with 4 ounces of crab.
- Drizzle 2 Tbsp of dressing on top of each salad. You’re ready to eat!
For more incredibly tasty, healthy, low fat salad recipes, check out:
Tahini-Lemon Kale Salad with Apples
Oregon Summer Salad with Grilled Salmon
Italian Potato Salad with Arugula and Cherry Tomatoes
Wakame Seaweed Salad
By Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!