I remember going to my Italian friend’s house in high school and her Mom had made a potato salad using oil and vinegar. It was my first time trying a potato salad that wasn’t made with the typical mayonnaise dressing.
The tanginess from the vinegar and the smoothness from the oil just exploded in my mouth with a happiness I had never experienced before. I instantly fell in love with the dish and lost any desire to ever eat a mayonnaise-based potato salad again.
In this version, I’ve added a few more veggies to the mix for extra nutrients, vitamins, crispiness, and flavor. This Italian Potato Salad with Arugula and Cherry Tomatoes will be a new fave at all your family parties.
- 2 pounds of red potatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large shallot, diced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups arugula
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash and scrub the red potatoes. Dice them. In a large pot filled halfway with water on the stove, add the potatoes. Cover and heat on high for about 10 minutes. The water will start to boil. After 10 minutes, remove from the heat and drain. Let the potatoes cool.
While the potatoes are cooking, cut the cherry tomatoes, shallot, and parsley. Wash the arugula.
- In a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, mustard, oil, salt, and pepper. Use a whisk to mix the dressing.
- In a large bowl, add the dressing to the potatoes and toss. Add the tomatoes, shallot, parsley, and arugula to the potatoes. Toss.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.