These vegetarian Sheet Pan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Fajitas are the perfect meal to add into your regular dinner recipe rotation. Why should it be your go-to recipe? These fajitas are a quick and convenient weeknight meal that require minimal equipment to prepare. They can be easily meal prepped in advance for the week, or ready to be served at your next Taco Tuesday dinner party in 30 minutes or less.
Another reason to love these fajitas is because they are packed with bold flavors and textures. A chili lime seasoning adds a subtle heat to the roasted sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and onion, while adding an optional mango cucumber salsa provides a contrasting sweet flavor and a fresh, crisp texture. I have a super simple mango cucumber salsa recipe below that is optional and takes 15 minutes to make. You can always add any store-bought salsa to this dish, too.
Pair the fajitas with a creamy, tangy Greek yogurt guacamole for additional protein and healthy, satiating fats. I’ve even included this optional guac recipe for you to make below and it takes less than 8 minutes.
- Ingredients for fajitas:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & sliced into long strips (about ½ inch wide & 3 inches long)
- 2 medium bell peppers (red and/or orange), sliced into long strips (about ¼ inch wide & 3 inches long)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into long strips (about ¼ inch wide & 3 inches long)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lime, zested (set aside lime for guac or salsa)
- 15 oz. can no salt added black beans (or sub pinto beans), drained and rinsed
- 12 flour or corn tortillas (taco size)
- Ingredients for mango cucumber salsa (optional):
- 1 large mango, chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded & chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded & finely diced
- 1 lime, juiced (may use zested lime from fajitas)
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- Ingredients for Greek yogurt guacamole (optional):
- 2 medium avocados
- ⅓ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Meanwhile, prepare sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and onion for the fajitas. Add sliced veggies to a large bowl and thoroughly coat in olive oil.
- Prepare chili lime seasoning for fajitas. Mix together chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, cayenne and lime zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle mixture into the large bowl with sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and onion. Toss veggies by hand until well-coated in chili lime seasoning.
- Transfer veggies to two large sheet pans and spread in an even layer. Place sheet pans in the oven and roast for about 15 minutes. Flip veggies and continue to roast for another 15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- While the veggies roast, prepare optional mango cucumber salsa and Greek yogurt guac.
- To prepare the mango cucumber salsa, combine chopped mango, cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- To prepare the Greek yogurt guac, mash two large avocados in a medium bowl. Mix in plain, nonfat Greek yogurt, diced red onion, lime juice, salt, and chopped cilantro (optional). Set aside.
- Once the veggies are roasted, serve ½ cup sweet potato fajitas with a warmed tortilla. Top with about 2 Tablespoons of black beans and garnish with mango cucumber salsa and Greek yogurt guac, if desired.
For more tasty sheet pan meals, check out these recipes:
- Sheet Pan Lemon Pepper Chicken with Roasted Green Beans and Yellow Potatoes
- Sesame Salmon Sheet Pan Dish
- Easiest Sheet Pan Greek Style Chicken and Roasted Vegetables
- Rosemary & Thyme Chicken and Veggie Dinner (Sheet Pan)
- Sheet Pan Maple Dijon Tempeh with Roasted Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Honey-Balsamic Pork Loin with Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
By: Kristen Stapleton, Dietetic Intern