The holidays can be a busy and stressful time, especially when it comes to preparing food for a crowd. This Make Ahead Breakfast Strata is perfect for an easy, hands-off breakfast, so you can spend more time with your family and friends.
Pro-Tip: The strata can be prepared and baked up to two days in advance and reheated the morning of. To reheat the Make Ahead Breakfast Strata, remove it from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature while the oven preheats to 375 F. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and enjoy the time hanging out with your family and friends. Footloose and fancy free.
*I like to use this garlic peeler to peel my garlic quickly without sticky fingers. After I peel the garlic, for easy mincing I like to use this garlic press. They are both easy to clean and super functional.
Watch the video on how to easily cook the Make Ahead Breakfast Strata:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lb asparagus
- 6 small tomatoes, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 cups crusty bread
- 8 whole eggs
- 1 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1½ cups 1% milk
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Toppings (optional):
- Cherry tomatoes
- Hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium. Saute onions for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Saute asparagus for 5 minutes or until bright green.
- Add tomatoes and garlic for 4 minutes or until most of the tomato juice has evaporated.
- Spray 9x16 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer the bread and filling by adding half of the bread then half of filling and repeating. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl use an immersion blender or standard blender and blend eggs, cheese, egg whites and milk until smooth. Evenly pour over top of bread and filling mixture.
- Cover and rest in the fridge for 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. After resting, uncover and allow to come to room temperature while the oven is preheating. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes longer or until egg mixture is set and bread is lightly browned.
- Top with optional toppings, as desired, like prosciutto, arugula, cherry tomatoes, and hot sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pro-Tip: The strata can be prepared and baked up to two days in advance and reheated the morning of. To reheat the Make Ahead Breakfast Strata, remove it from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature while the oven preheats to 375 F.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through and enjoy the time hanging out with your family and friends. Footloose and fancy free.
For more egg-cellent recipes, check out:
Instant Pot Spinach and Red Pepper Egg Bites
Gluten Free Egg and Mushroom Potato Pizza
Marinated Portobello Mushroom Burger with a Fried Egg, Goat Cheese, Spinach, and Caramelized Red Onion
10 Awesome Egg Recipes
Mozzarella Parmesan Arugula Egg Flatout Flatbread Pizza
Egg-licious Egg Ideas for Breakfast in 5 Minutes or Less
Recipe By: Alison Hoffman, BS, Dietetic Student
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!