Pizza is a family favorite and I made this unique “pizza” crust out of potatoes. Gluten Free Egg and Mushroom Potato Pizza can be used as a pizza-like appetizer to enjoy at your next party or as an entrée accompanied with a fresh spring green salad.
It has veggies, protein, and carbs to completely satisfy and satiate. The fortified eggs provide omega-3s and vitamin D for optimal brain and heart health.
The turmeric and ginger have so much flavor, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties. They even help support immune health. Who knew healthy food can taste so incredibly delicious.
- Cooking spray
- 3 large brown eggs
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups grated raw potato with skins (3 small potatoes)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large brown eggs
- 1 tsp grape seed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups onion, chopped
- 2 ½ cups (about 4 ounces) mushrooms, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- Italian parsley for topping (optional), chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prep a 9-inch deep dish glass pie pan with a cooking spray (I like using my Misto) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the turmeric until well blended and set aside. Saving a handful of the cheese to "garnish" the pie filling, add the cheese into the egg mixture. Mix and set aside.
- Grate the potatoes and add to the egg and cheese mixture. Add the salt. Stir to blend.
- Pour into your prepared pie pan, and pat the mixture evenly up the sides and onto the bottom of the pan. This is your crust. Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, beat the eggs for the filling in a small bowl until they are light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Add the mushrooms, red peppers, ginger, and salt. Stir all the ingredients together and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the cooked vegetables into a large bowl and set aside to thoroughly cool.
- Just before the 40 minutes cooking time for the crust is done, add the well beaten eggs to the cooled, vegetable mixture. Stir to thoroughly blend the filling.
- Take the crust out of the oven. Pour the filling into the crust and spread it evenly in the center of the pie.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the filling, and continue to bake for 20 more minutes. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Slice into 16 pieces like a pizza. Serve at room temperature and sprinkle with chopped Italian parsley (optional).
Note: For super easy entertaining, this recipe can be made the day ahead and then served at room temperature. If using the Italian parsley, sprinkle it right before serving.
Note for a variation with a Mexican flare:
- Switch the Crust’s ground turmeric to be ½ tsp cayenne pepper and change the cheese to be 1 cup grated hot pepper jack cheese + 1 cup grated cheddar cheese.
- Delete the fresh ginger for the filling and keep all the other ingredients the same.
- Follow the same order for the cooking instructions.
For more delicious, homemade pizza recipes, check out:
Mini Cauliflower Deep Dish Pesto and Mushroom Pizza
Bell Pepper and Cheese Pizza
Mozzarella, Parmesan, Arugula, and Egg Flatbread Pizza
By Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!