This Easy One-Pan Shakshuka is the perfect vegetarian dish to serve at Mother’s Day brunch or any brunch gathering.
Bonuses of making this dish for Brunch:
- It’s ready in 37 minutes.
- Only requires one pan.
- Includes delicious simmered tomato, onion, and bell pepper sauce packed with bold spices and flavors.
- Can be made ahead of time.
Whether you’re an avid home chef or relatively new to cooking, this shakshuka is sure to impress your guests and your Mom.
Brunches are all about spending time together with loved ones. This easy one-pan shakshuka recipe can be served family-style to accommodate an intimate gathering of up to 6 people.
Make it ahead of time! The shakshuka sauce can be made up to three days in advance. On the day-of, simply reheat the sauce in a pan, add in the eggs, and cook them just before serving.
Another reason to love this healthy shakshuka recipe is that it’s full of essential nutrients like choline and vitamin C. Eggs are a good source of choline, which is important for brain health. Tomatoes and bell peppers are high in vitamin C — a key nutrient for immune health. This Easy One-Pan Shakshuka recipe will be your new go-to dish for any gathering or relaxing weekend brunch.
- Ingredients for shakshuka:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, with juices
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 6 large eggs
- Optional ingredients for serving:
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Avocado, thinly sliced
- Baguette, thinly sliced and toasted
- Heat olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add in the sliced bell pepper, onion, and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, until bell pepper is softened and onion is slightly translucent.
- Add in the zucchini. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and spices. Stir vegetables until they are thoroughly coated in spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the can of whole tomatoes with juices. Gently break up tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Let sauce simmer for 10 minutes, until it has slightly darkened in color and tomatoes have broken down. To deepen the flavor, you may continue simmering for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in feta cheese.
- Next, create 6 “nests” or “wells” for the eggs in the sauce. Crack one egg into each well. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 5-8 minutes (until eggs have reached desired consistency).
- Garnish with cilantro, parsley, avocado, and additional feta, if desired. Serve with toasted baguette slices, if desired.
For other Mother’s Day brunch ideas, check out these recipes:
Kristen Stapleton, Dietetic Intern