Chicken Tortilla Soup with Homemade Tortilla Chips
Author: Sarah Koszyk
Recipe type: Soup, Dinner, Lunch
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Cooking spray or oil spray
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 14-oz can diced tomato
- 1 small can (4 oz) diced green chilies (use any level of heat you want from mild to medium to hot)
- 1 can reduced sodium black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 oz shredded chicken (I used leftover rotisserie chicken)
- 2 oz shredded Kraft fat-free cheddar cheese
- 2 corn tortillas
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, avocado & hot sauce to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° bake. Chop the onion and garlic. Over medium heat, spray a Dutch oven or pot with cooking oil. Sauté the garlic and onions for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, green chilies, black beans, corn, and shredded chicken to the soup. Add salt to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes to soak up the flavors.
- While the soup is cooking, make the chips. Using a pizza cutter, slice the tortillas into thin strips. Place them on a tinfoil-lined baking dish (for simple clean up) and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove the chips from the oven.
- Spoon the soup into a bowl. Sprinkle cheese over the soup. Add tortilla chips. You can also serve with chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, and hot sauce as desired. Have a great fiesta!
Serving size: 2 cups soup + chips Calories: 240.4 Fat: 2.4 Saturated fat: 0.6 Carbohydrates: 32.5 Sugar: 5.8 Fiber: 7.4 Protein: 24.0 Cholesterol: 33.2