Growing up, my Croatian Grandma would make the most delicious Lentil Soup made with tons of love. Her version had a flavorsome smoked ham hock which is tradition in Croatia. The soup would cook for hours filling the house with hearty, warming aromas. So comforting for the soul. My Healthy and Easy Crockpot Lentil Soup version can be vegetarian (if using vegetable stock) or vegan (if excluding the Parmesan cheese topping).
I modified her soup recipe and recreated it for the slow cooker making a mouthwatering Healthy and Easy Crockpot Lentil Soup. It’s a one-pot, complete and well-balanced meal that only takes 15 minutes to prep. The lentil soup has common ingredients. Lentils are full of fiber, iron, folate, and rich in plant-based protein.
Indulge yourself by dipping crusty bread into the soup and sprinkling Parmesan cheese over it. Let this crockpot lentil soup take you back to a time when you savored one of your Grandma’s meals. Mmmmm……
- 2 cups lentils
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon herbs de Provence
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups spinach
- Garnish (optional):
- Italian flatleaf parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground pepper
- Chop the carrots and celery. Peel and dice the onion. Peel and mince the garlic.
- Add the lentils, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, broth, herbs de Provence, and salt to the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 7 hours.
- Blend 4 cups of the soup in a blender or use a handheld blender to get a creamier feel.
- Add it back to the pot and stir in the spinach.
- Garnish (optional) with fresh Italian flatleaf parsley, parmesan cheese, and fresh ground pepper.
Need to buy a crockpot? Here’s one from Amazon:
Crock-Pot 6-Quart Oval Slow Cooker
Disclosure: Bear in mind that the Amazon link in this post is an affiliate link and if you go through it to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. There’s no extra charge to you. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.