Hearty Crockpot Mung Bean Soup with Vegetables (Vegan)
Mung Beans are an amazing vegetarian protein source (this meal has 18 grams per serving), very high in fiber (this meal has 15 grams per serving), and low glycemic, too.
Mung beans may seem exotic, but you’ve probably had mung bean sprouts in a lot of Asian and Indian-inspired dishes before. I cook and use mung beans just like lentils. This hearty crockpot mung bean soup with vegetables (vegan) is a complete meal in one dish and very easy to prepare. Perfect for the upcoming fall weather when you want a bowl of comforting soup. You can find mung beans in most stores like Whole Foods and Safeway.
- 2 cups dried mung beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 6 cups vegetable stock (low sodium recommended)
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- Cooking Spray (I prefer using a Misto spray filled with my extra virgin olive oil of choice)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dice the onions. Chop the carrots into rounds. Chop the celery. Mince the garlic using a garlic press.
- Spray a cooking pan with cooking spray and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add the onions. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 4 minutes. By cooking the veggies, you can bring out more flavors into the soup. (You can skip this cooking part and put all the ingredients directly into the crockpot. However, the flavors taste better when you’ve sautéed the onions, garlic, and veggies first).
- Add the dried mung beans to the crockpot. Top with the veggies. Add the vegetable stock, cumin, curry, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
For another vegetarian/vegan crockpot recipe that’s packed with plant-based protein, enjoy Healthy & Easy Crockpot Lentil Soup.
This mung bean recipe isn’t made in the crockpot, but it’s a must-try, too: Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers with Brown Rice & Mung Beans.
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!