This Sunday is National Hot Chocolate Day and to celebrate, I put my own spin on this family favorite by making a Cacao Mexican Hot Chocolate. I can say with absolute certainty my Mexican abuelita would approve. This hot chocolate was decadent and dark with a little kick! Cacao is a good source of a chemical compound called phenylethylamine, which has been suggested to help improve mood and increase energy. With some homemade whipped cream and a little bit of cinnamon, this warm beverage will spice up your life.
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar (or preferred sweetener)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- 2-ounce bittersweet chocolate
- Topping Options:
- Homemade whipped cream (recipe)
- Cinnamon stick for stirring
- Chocolate shavings
- Powdered cinnamon
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine all the ingredients.
- Whisk together until the mixture is hot and the bittersweet chocolate is melted. Do not boil. When the mixture is uniform, it is ready to serve.
- Divide into 2 cups and serve with toppings of choice.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the mixing bowl in the freezer and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and add all the ingredients.
- Using an electric whisk on high, beat the ingredients to blend for about 5 minutes until you see white peaks. Do not over beat.
- Serve and enjoy.
For more incredible drinks, check out:
Matcha as a Healthy Alternative to Coffee
4-Ingredient Healthy Almond Milk Recipe