Grain bowls are insanely delicious and very easy to make when you prep everything ahead of time. This Brown Rice Cabbage and Edamame Grain Bowl with Carrot-Ginger Dressing has all the right components of a nourishing grain bowl and it is packed with incredible anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
A well-balanced grain bowl contains:
- High-Fiber Whole Grains
- Plant-Based Protein or Protein Source
- Heart-Healthy Fats
This Vegan and Gluten-Free recipe is a complete meal in one bowl and provides over 14 grams of plant-based protein in every serving. Get ready to optimize your immune system from the vitamin C and iron while also enhancing your skin health from the vitamin E, vitamin A, and beta-carotene with this mouthwatering dish.
Pro-Time-Saving Tip: Make the grain bowl ingredients ahead of time such as
- Cook the brown rice
- Shred the cabbage and cut the cucumber and bell pepper
- Make the dressing
- Put all the ingredients into separate containers
When you are ready to eat the grain bowl, just pull out the containers and follow the directions on how to Make the Bowls.
*I used an Instant Pot to make the rice but you can also use a rice cooker or do it on the stove top.
- 2 cups whole grain medium brown rice
- 2½ cups water
- 1 medium cucumber, julienned
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 red bell pepper, stem removed, deseeded, and julienned
- 4 Tbsp black sesame seeds *You can also substitute for white sesame seeds
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 large carrot, stem removed, chopped into 3 pieces
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Cook the rice:
- Place brown rice and water in Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid and set the steam valve to “sealing” position.
- Pressure Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes. Turn the “Warm” button off. It will take about 5 minutes to warm up.
- When the cook time is complete, let the pot release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the steam release valve from sealing to venting to release the remainder of the pressure (if there is any pressure left).
- Once all the pressure is released, open the lid.
- Fluff brown rice with a fork.
- Let the rice cool. This makes 4 cups cooked brown rice.
- Prep the vegetables:
- While the rice is cooking, prep the vegetables.
- Cut the ends off the cucumber. Thinly slice into julienne slices the size of a matchstick.
- Shred the cabbage by finely chopping it.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the red bell pepper.
- Thinly slice the red bell pepper into julienne slices the size of a matchstick.
- Make the dressing:
- Peel the shallot.
- Cut the stem off the carrot and slice the carrot into 3 chunks to make it easier to blend.
- Peel the ginger.
- Combine the shallot, carrot, lemon juice, mirin, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, and sesame oil in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Make the bowls:
- Remove the rice from the Instant Pot and place 1 cup cooked brown rice in the bottom of a bowl.
- Add ¼ of the cucumber and place on the right side of the bowl over the brown rice.
- Add ½ cup of shredded purple cabbage and place on the bottom side of the bowl next to the cucumber over the brown rice.
- Add ¼ cup of edamame and place on the left side of the bowl next to the purple cabbage over the brown rice.
- Add ¼ of the julienned red bell pepper and place on the top side of the bowl in between the edamame and cucumber over the brown rice.
- Scoop 2 Tbsp of the carrot-ginger dressing and place in the middle of the bowl.
- Sprinkle the bowl with 1 Tbsp black sesame seeds.
- Repeat this to make the other 3 bowls.
Get more Vegan Grain Bowl recipes:
Vegan Cauliflower Black Bean and Quinoa Grain Bowl
Vegetable Quinoa Chickpea and Avocado Grain Bowl with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
Vegan Adzuki Beans and Rice Bowl
Edamame, Amaranth, and Chimichurri Nourish Bowl
40 Plant-Based Bowls of Joy by Sharon Palmer featuring my Nourish Bowl
By Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!