Vegan Adzuki Beans and Rice
Dive into this Vegan Adzuki Beans and Rice bowl jam-packed with fiber, protein, and a colorful display of fresh seasonal veggies. This build-your-own styled bowl will be a hit with family and friends. Adzuki beans have one of the highest amounts of protein per serving and this dish provides 14.4 grams of protein in one bowl.
- 1 cup adzuki beans
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 1 vine-ripe tomato
- 1 green pepper, deseeded
- ½ tsp taco seasoning packet (or make your own with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin powder, dried oregano, and red chili flakes)
- ⅓ cup roasted corn or canned corn or frozen corn
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup salsa of choice
- Lime juice for flavoring
- Sour cream (optional-will make the dish vegetarian and not vegan)
- Cheese, shredded (optional-will make the dish vegetarian and not vegan)
- Soak 1 cup adzuki beans in 4 cups of water overnight or at least 1-2 hours.
- Drain the beans.
- In a pot, cover the beans with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours until tender.
- While the beans are cooking, in a separate pot, boil 1 cup of water.
- Add in the rice, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- While the beans and rice are cooking, dice the tomato, cucumber, and pepper. Lightly chop the cilantro.
- Once the beans are tender, drain the water. Using the same pot, gently sauté the beans with the taco seasoning.
- After the rice is done cooking, remove from heat. Mix the roasted corn with the brown rice.
- Begin to build the two bowls dividing the rice and corn mixture equally.
- Add a ½ cup of seasoned beans to each bowl.
- Divide the fresh vegetables equally into each bowl.
- Top with cilantro and salsa. Squeeze fresh lime juice onto each bowl. Add in additional toppings if desired.
Recipe care of Natalie Brandenburg, dietetic student, Instagram: @thecaliforniabowl
Subscribe to Get 10 Snacks to Fuel & Energize You PDF
Get our nutrition newsletter & instant access to the free PDF.