Comfort food during the winter months is always on my mind. This crockpot or slow cooker recipe is perfect for making an easy-prep, comfort food beef dish. I marinate the meat overnight while I sleep and chop the onion the night before. In the morning, I put the onion and the meat in the crockpot and I’m off for work. You can eat this with some steamed rice and a salad or steamed veggies for a complete meal. The Slow Cooker Braised Beef Short Ribs are heaven on a bone. This recipe was taken from a highly recommended cookbook: The Low-GI Slow Cooker: Delicious & Easy Dishes Made Healthy with the Glycemic Index by Dr. Mariza Snyder, Dr. Lauren Clum, and Anna V. Zulaica.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 pounds beef short ribs, fat trimmed to ⅛ inch
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- Heat the oil in a small pan on medium heat.
- Add the mustard seeds, stirring often.
- Place a loosely fitting lid or spatter screen over the pan, as the seeds tend to pop. After 2-3 minutes, when they have browned, remove from heat.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, beef broth, soy sauce, garlic, red pepper flakes, mustard seeds, and black pepper in a medium bowl.
- Whisk well.
- Pour the mixture into a large Ziploc bag.
- Add the short ribs. Seal tightly, pushing as much air out of the bag as you can. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight or at least for 1 hour.
- Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Lay the marinated short ribs on top of the onion, placing them on their sides if they are too large to fit in a single layer.
- Drizzle the marinade over the ribs, cover, and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours, or until meat is falling off the bone.
For another mouthwatering recipe from the book, check out:
Slow Cooker Mustard Balsamic Glazed Chicken with Butternut Squash
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!
***I was provided a free copy of the cookbook. I was not compensated in any other way for this review or for my time. All thoughts and beliefs are my own.