These Instant Pot Teriyaki and Pineapple Meatballs pair wonderfully with oven roasted broccoli and farro. (I also share recipes on how to make farro and oven roasted broccoli below, too!) The meatballs have the perfect balance between sweet and tangy, leaving you wanting more. You can make the meatballs ahead of time for an easy-to-warm-up-and-use protein throughout the week. Pair with the farro or broccoli or any other grain and vegetable for a complete meal.
They are also great to have as an appetizer on a game day or for any party or event.
*Need an Instant Pot? Here’s one I recommend: Lux 6-in-1 Instant Pot
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ cup crushed pineapple in juice (not syrup)
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Cornstarch Slurry (to thicken the teriyaki sauce):
- ¼ cup cold water or sauce from the Instant Pot
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Garnish (optional):
- Sesame Seeds
- Green Onions, sliced
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the Meatballs:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, garlic, ginger, pineapple, soy sauce, green onions, and breadcrumbs. Form the mixture into golf ball-sized balls.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and choose the saute function. Allow the liner to get hot, and add the oil. Working in batches, place a few of the meatballs into the Instant Pot at a time. Brown the meatballs on all sides (about 1-2 minutes per side). Then remove them from the Instant Pot and set aside. Complete the process until all the meatballs have been browned.
- Make the Sauce:
- Keep the Instant Pot on saute, and pour the water for the sauce into the liner. Deglaze the pot if needed. Use a wooden spoon and scrape off any bits that might be stuck to the bottom.
- After deglazing the liner, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, garlic powder, and ground ginger. Use a whisk to combine until all the sugar and honey have dissolved. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Place all the meatballs back into the Instant Pot and close the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing, and use the manual (pressure cook) button to adjust the time to 5 minutes. After the time is up, turn off the Instant Pot and allow a 10 minute natural release before opening the valve for a quick release.
- Make the Cornstarch Slurry (with the teriyaki sauce):
- Carefully open the lid and remove the meatballs. Use ¼ cup of the liquid from the Instant Pot (or ¼ cup of cold water), and combine it with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to form a slurry. Whisk until smooth. Turn the Instant Pot to saute, and add the slurry. Whisk to combine and thicken the sauce (whisk for 3-5 minutes).
- Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Remove the thickened teriyaki sauce from the Instant Pot and drizzle over the meatballs.
- Top with sesame seeds and/or sliced green onions.
- Serve with farro and oven roasted broccoli.
- Directions to Make Farro:
- Heat the water over high heat in a saucepan until it is boiling.
- Add the farro and salt, stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium to maintain a vigorous simmer. Cook the farro until it is chewy and tender — approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the farro completely through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Fluff and season with extra salt if needed.
- Serve warm.
- Directions to Make Oven-Roasted Broccoli:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss broccoli with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 min or until browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Alexandra Horn, Dietetic Intern
For more recipes check out:
Instant Pot Moroccan Chicken with Roasted Vegetables & Couscous
Korean Beef Bulgogi Bowl
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!