Let’s be honest, who didn’t like chicken nuggets as a kid? They are such a classic dish to be enjoyed at any age. And to honor the fabulous essence of this classic, I made a baked, plant-based option: Healthiest Vegan Tofu Nuggets! These are a wonderful alternative with less preservatives, less grease (due to the baking factor), and no added sugars, than any freezer option. I used Bragg’s Coconut Aminos in this recipe to reduce the salt content, too. This is a meal your family will love (and it’s very easy to make).
Dip these Healthiest Vegan Tofu Nuggets into ketchup, ranch, honey mustard, or an aioli. You can even put them in a salad to make a protein-and-vegetable packed, perfectly well-balanced meal.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- Marinade: (so the crumb sticks to the tofu)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos (I like using Bragg’s Coconut Aminos)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Crumb Coating:
- ⅓ cup panko
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (I like using Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast)
- Press tofu for at least 15 minutes to release some of the moisture.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the tofu is being pressed, put the crumb mixture: panko, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and nutritional yeast into a Ziplock bag and shake it to mix.
- Cut the tofu into thick cube-sized pieces then put it into a container. Add the coconut aminos and olive oil to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- After marinating, toss the tofu cubes into the Ziplock bag with the crumb mixture and shake.
- Set onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, flip, and then an additional 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and get your dipping sauces ready!
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!