Tofu Summer Rolls
You can make your own dipping sauces like below or just buy a sweet chili sauce or peanut sauce to dip into.
Author: Adapted from: Anya von Bremzen, Food and Wine, January 2004
Recipe type: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Dipping Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 2 Thai or Serrano chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove mashed to a paste with a fork
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Summer Rolls:
- 1 package tofu (slice tofu into 12 strips. marinate in soy sauce & rice wine vinegar for 3 hours)
- 4 ounces rice vermicelli, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes and drained
- Twelve 8-inch rice paper wrappers
- 3 carrots (sliced in thin, long slices, julienned)
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 36 large mint leaves
- 1 bunch cilantro (washed and with ends cut off)
- DIPPING SAUCE: Put the sugar and water into a bowl and microwave on high until the sugar dissolves.
- Let cool for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- SUMMER ROLLS: Boil the water.
- Add the soaked rice vermicelli and cook for 2 minutes (noodles will be tender).
- Drain and rinse under cool running water.
- Pat with paper towels to dry noodles.
- Cut the noodles into 2-inch lengths with kitchen scissors.
- In a pan with hot water, put 1 rice paper wrapper into the pan and let it soak until softened, about 15-30 seconds;
- Pull it out and pat dry.
- Put some noodles onto the paper and drizzle the hoisin sauce on top.
- Add the tofu, 2 strips of carrots, cilantro, and mint leaves.
- Fold up the bottom edge of the wrapper, then fold the ends in and roll over once (like folding up a burrito or making a baby swaddle).
- Cut each roll in half.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
Serving size: 1 roll Calories: 110 Fat: .2 Saturated fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 20.8 Sugar: 3 Sodium: 86.1 Fiber: 0.7 Protein: 5.6 Cholesterol: 45.9