Paella is a dish native to Valencia on the east coast of Spain. But you don’t have to go to Europe to get a taste of this delicious Spanish cuisine. Here is an Easy Paella Recipe. Infused with exotic spices and bold flavors, this recipe is so simple, yet so good, it will have you singing in Spanish.
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil, separated
- ¾ pound medium shrimp, deshelled and deveined
- 2 chicken sausages, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1½ cups long grain rice
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 30 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup green peas, frozen
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Lemon wedges for serving
- In a wide, deep skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Cook the shrimp for about 5 minutes until they are fully cooked. Remove from the heat and set aside. Keep the water left over from the cooked shrimp.
- In a separate skillet, add the other Tbsp of olive oil and cook the chicken sausage over medium high heat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and rice. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the paprika, turmeric, oregano, salt, pepper, saffron, tomatoes, broth, and liquid from the cooked shrimp, and stir into the rice. Bring the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and bring back to a simmer. Cover the skillet and let cook for about 20-25 minutes until the rice is almost fully cooked.
- Add the frozen peas and stir in the shrimp. Serve and enjoy.
For more recipes using shrimp, check out:
Cilantro-Lime Marinated Grilled Pineapple Shrimp
Sriracha Shrimp with Zoodles