Super bowl Sunday is this weekend! My family is super excited because we’re huge 49er Fans (living in San Francisco pretty much sets the stage for our choice in teams). These game days can be wicked for our waistline when it comes to potential calories consumed. With all the beer, the alcohol, the sodas, the dips, the chips, and the other snack food that’s there, those calories can add up quickly! Like over 3,000 calories consumed in 1 football game! Here are some tips to keep the calories down and some healthy, flavorful dips & dishes to bring to your Super bowl Fiesta.
• Bring a veggie platter with a hummus dip or a homemade Ranch dip. This way you know you get your veggies in.
• Get the Hummus Recipe.
• Get the Homemade Ranch Dip Recipe.
• When it comes to eating, sit as far away as possible from the food so you don’t mindlessly munch and nibble throughout the game.
• Instead of eating out of the chip or dip bowls, fill up 1 plate with your appetizers. Next, walk away from the food. This way you know exactly how much you eat and its portion controlled.
• When drinking booze, chase each drink with a glass of water or sparkling water. This way you slow down on how many drinks you consume.
• Go to the party with a drink plan and stick to it! By having a specific number of drinks, you’ll set yourself up for success and not over do it by consuming too many empty calories.
• Remember: the main goal of the Super Bowl Party is to have fun and root for your team! So GO 49ers and let’s enjoy the time we spend with our family & friends!
By Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN