5 Bean Baked Chili is the best recipe for parties, picnics, BBQs, events and so much more! It makes a big batch perfect for sharing. Most of the time, I’ll take the pot home empty. Sometimes, if you’re lucky, there are leftovers. You can make it on the stove top or in the crockpot/slow cooker.
I have to give props to my fabulous friend, Cindy Densmore, for giving me the original version of this awesome 5 Bean Baked Chili recipe. I’ve modified it slightly to use less fat. However, you can use regular bacon, if you want, instead of turkey bacon. Both are delicious options.
- 4 cans of any kind of beans + 1 can baked beans (I like using garbanzo, kidney, black, chili, and baked beans for a variety of color)
- 1 pound 96% fat free ground beef
- 1 pound 97% fat free turkey bacon
- 2 tablespoon mustard
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Bake the bacon in a tinfoil-lined pan for easy clean-up at 350 Bake. (this takes about 10-15 minutes so you can do all the other steps while the bacon cooks). Once it’s cooked, chop the bacon and put it in the dutch oven or pot.
- Chop the onions and mince the garlic.
- Saute in the dutch oven or pot.
- Brown beef in the dutch oven or pot.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the dutch oven or pot OR put in a crockpot.
- Cook for about 30 minutes to warm up and mix all the flavors. If using a crockpot, cook on HIGH for 30 minutes or LOW for 2 hours. Serve when warmed.
- TIP: This tastes even better the next day! If making for a party, make it the night before and just warm up to serve.
Here is a Backyard BBQ Party Menu including the chili, deviled eggs, red cabbage slaw, baked french fries, cornbread, beef brisket, homemade ice cream cake, and more.
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!