How many times have you had a mix of random ingredients but had no idea what to make with them? We’ve all been there. This cupboard cookout recipe combines a few different canned food items, to make a tasty, tangy stir-fry. Along with being delicious, this Cupboard Cookout: Sweet and Sour Vegan Stir-Fry recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and provides you with plant-based protein, fiber, and tons of antioxidants.
Sweet and Sour Vegetarian Stir-Fry Video
This dish combines common canned food items, such as chickpeas, pineapple chunks, and water chestnuts, for a quick and simple meal everyone will love. For convenience, I used a store bought sweet and sour sauce, however you can also make your own if you prefer. Making this dish is simple: just saute the chickpeas with chopped onion and bell pepper, throw in the pineapple chunks and water chestnuts along with the sauce, and simmer for a few minutes. Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions, and/or sliced almonds, as desired. Serve over steamed rice for a balanced meal.
- 1½ - 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (to remove excess sodium)
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can pineapple chunks in juice, drained (you can drink the juice on the side)
- 3 Tbsp Sweet and Sour sauce
- Toppings (optional):
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions, chopped
- Sliced almonds
- In a large pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add in chopped onion and bell pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes, until bell pepper is soft and onion is translucent.
- Add chickpeas to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the water chestnuts and pineapple. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour in 3 Tbsp sweet and sour sauce over the chickpea and vegetable mixture. Mix well to evenly coat. Add more sauce if needed.
- Let simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring with a spoon when needed.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with desired toppings of choice. Serve over steamed rice for a complete meal.
For more Cupboard Cookout meals, check out these recipes:
Cupboard Cookout: Green Bean Medley with Tuna Salad
Cupboard Cookout: Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole
Cupboard Cookout: Vegetarian Southwest Protein Pasta Salad
By: Alyssa Granado, Dietetic Intern