Vegan Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw is easy to make and beautiful with all the colors. The red color in the cabbage has anthocyanins, antioxidants that promote brain and heart health. Red cabbage and lemon juice are packed with vitamin C, too.
If you like some spice in your life, you’ll love this slaw. The jalapeño gives it just the right kick to heat up that soul. And the sunflower seeds are a fabulous source of vitamin E for optimal skin health. Enjoy all the health benefits from this incredibly delicious Vegan Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw.
- ⅓ cup raw sunflower seeds (1½ ounces)
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped jalapeño
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh or bottled lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ head of red cabbage, cored and cut into ¼-inch-wide strips (8 cups)
- 2 large carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spread the sunflower seeds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the jalapeño, canola oil, lemon juice, salt and sugar and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the carrots and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and the toasted sunflower seeds and toss to coat. Season with pepper, toss again and serve.
For another incredible Cabbage Salad recipe, check out:
Chinese Cabbage Salad