Packed with fiber and beta-carotene but low in carbohydrates and calories, the mild-flavored spaghetti squash is the perfect blank canvas to pair with any flavor. With this recipe, Southwestern flavors are highlighted in a delicious, nutritious way. Meatless or not, the unique blend of herbs and spices in this Southwestern Stuffed Spaghetti Squash will leave you wanting more.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb chicken breast, chopped (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 15-ounce canned corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut squash in half lengthwise. If the squash is too firm to cut, microwave for approximately 3-4 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife.
Use a spoon and discard the seeds. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash halves, cut-side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Depending on the size of the squash, roast for approximately 35 to 60 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife.
- While the squash is in the oven, prepare the chicken and vegetables. Mix the cumin, chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, pour approximately ¾ of the spices over the chicken and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Coat a skillet on medium-high heat with non-stick spray. When the oil is fragrant, add the chopped chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through completely.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven. Let stand at room temperature until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash into a bowl, separating the strands.
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeno, bell pepper, tomatoes, black beans, and corn with the remaining spices into the same bowl. Stir to combine.
- Put all the vegetables into the pan with the chicken. Sauté for approximately 3-4 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from heat. Taste and season as desired.
- Set oven to broil. Stuff each squash half with the mixture and top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese melts and gets brown and bubbly, about 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve and enjoy.
- *You can make this dish vegetarian by omitting the chicken and just using the vegetables.
For more recipes containing Spaghetti Squash, check out:
Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns
Spaghetti Squash Bake with Marinara & Cheese (Vegetarian)