Quick & Fast Warm Tomato Bread Salad
Author: Sarah Koszyk Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine
Recipe type: Salad, Appetizer, Vegetables
Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- 12 thick slices whole wheat bread, cut into ½-inch dice (about 15 cups)
- 1½ teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, halved crosswise and sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup plain nonfat greek yogurt, stirred until smooth
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium European cucumber, peeled and cut into small dice
- Juice of ½ lime
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Spread the diced bread out on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast for 6 to 7 minutes, or until dry on the outside.
- Remove from the oven.
- Heat cooking spray in a large skillet.
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and jalapeños, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened but not browned, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper and the yogurt.
- Add the toasted bread and stir gently to coat with the dressing.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cover and cook until the bread is softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Gently stir in the cucumber and lime juice and season with salt.
- Spoon the salad onto individual plates and serve.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 217 Fat: 6.1 Saturated fat: 2.7 Carbohydrates: 30.5 Sugar: 0 Sodium: 812 Fiber: 7.9 Protein: 12.6 Cholesterol: 12