Moussaka: Meat & Vegetarian Version. My Grandma makes moussaka with ground beef, but you can substitute black beans instead. I’ve made the black bean version many times for my vegetarian friends and they love it. Moussaka is hearty and great to make ahead of time. Prep it on a weekend and place it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it in the oven. It’s big enough for leftovers or to bring to a party. I enjoy it with a side salad.
- Olive oil spray (Misto)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 lbs 96% ground beef OR 2 lbs ground turkey OR 2 cans black beans (drained & rinsed) (vegetarian version)
- 24 oz tomato puree
- 1 cup beef stock OR 1 cup vegetable stock (vegetarian version)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped mint
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Sea salt & ground cracked pepper to taste
- 3 eggplants, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella (lite version)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees bake.
- In a large pan, spray with the Misto and cook the garlic and onions for 4 minutes.
- Add the meat or beans and cook for another 5 minutes (or until the meat is browned).
- Add the tomatoes, stock, cinnamon, mint, parsley, salt, and pepper and cook on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- While this is cooking, put the eggplants in a dish with a little water and place in the microwave. Heat on high for 8 minutes so they are cooked.
- TIP: microwave alternative: cook the eggplant in batches on the stove top in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat so the eggplants are cooked on both sides.
- In a glass Pyrex (9x13in), layer the eggplant, meat/bean sauce, and cheese on top.
- Add a second layer of the eggplant, meat/bean sauce, and cheese on top.
- Cook in the oven for 35 minutes.
- This is fantastic served with crusty bread and a side salad.
For more recipes by my Grandma, check out
8 Favorite Recipes from my Mom & Grandma
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!