Elevate flavor and health with these Healthiest Gluten-Free Philly Cheesesteak Lettuce Wraps. This modified classic offers the rich flavors you adore, featuring tender steak, sautéed vegetables, and melted cheese, all bundled in crisp lettuce leaves. By swapping out traditional bread, we reduce carbs and calories while preserving the irresistible flavor of a cheesesteak. With lean protein, vibrant veggies, and the perfect touch of cheese, this dish is a delightful way to satisfy cravings while staying mindful of your well-being.
*For a good, thin cut with the vegetables and steak, I love using this Kyocera Ceramic Knife. The blade stays sharp and never needs sharpening.
Watch a video on how to make the Healthiest Gluten-Free Philly Cheesesteak Lettuce Wraps recipe:
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, deseeded, stems removed, and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb skirt steak, thinly sliced
- Steak sauce to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella or provolone, shredded
- 10 romaine lettuce leaves
- Place the onion and bell peppers in a large skillet over medium heat with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stirring regularly, cook for 12 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the beef and steak sauce, as desired, to the skillet. Mix to cook the steak all the way through.
- Once it is cooked, add the vegetable mixture back to the skillet and combine.
- Sprinkle mozzarella or provolone cheese over the steak and veggie mix.
- Cover with a lid until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the skillet and scoop into individual lettuce wraps. Serve and enjoy.
For more lettuce wrap recipes, check out:
Quick & Easy Turkey or Chicken Asian Inspired Lettuce Cups
For how to perfectly cook a steak, check out:
How to Perfectly Grill Steak and Lamb
Recipe By: Mikayla Van Lewen, Dietetic Intern
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!