Cauliflower has been the talk of the town from celebrity chefs such as Rachel Ray and Jamie Oliver to companies such as Kraft adding it to their macaroni & cheese dishes. Cauliflower is the latest and greatest way to put vegetables into your kids’ meals in a kid-friendly, kid-approved manner.
Here are some simple tips to add the fiber-filled (3.5 grams of fiber per 1 cup) cauliflower into your life and get your kids their Vitamin C & E:
- Mash up cauliflower just like mashed potatoes! You can even mix the 2 together for a double whammy of both your starchy vegetable mixed with your non-starchy vegetable in 1 dish. Click here to go to our Cauliflower Mash recipe.
- Here’s a photo of our Cauliflower Mash with some roasted sweet potatoes & grilled Tilapia.
- Cut up some raw cauliflower and use that to dip into your hummus or ranch dip instead of the same-old carrot. Click here to go to our Hummus or Ranch Dip recipes.
- Spray the cauliflower with some oil, add salt & pepper. Roast the cauliflower in the oven at 400° Bake for about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese and enjoy.
- Cauliflower in Pasta Sauce is another way to add in those veggies!
- Add the cauliflower to any soup. Cauliflower in chicken soup is divine!
- Try treating cauliflower like potatoes. You can cook the cauliflower like you’d cook the potato and add the same fixins to it. Deee-licious!
By Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN