Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And there are incredible Breakfast Brain Food Ideas to optimize your brain function, enhance your memory, and increase your cognitive development. Foods that have omega-3 fatty acids, choline, and anthocyanins have been suggested to boost brain power.
Omega-3 fatty acids are important for normal brain and eye function. Omega-3-rich foods are oily fish like salmon and mackerel, walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and Clover Sonoma Organic DHA Omega-3 and Choline Milk, which provides 50mg of DHA per 1 cup serving.
Choline is an essential nutrient needed for proper memory, mood, and muscle function. Choline-rich foods are eggs, salmon, navy beans, broccoli, green peas, and Clover Sonoma Organic DHA Omega-3 and Choline Milk, which provides 20% of your daily value of choline.
Anthocyanins, antioxidants that give fruits and veggies the blue, purple, and deep red colors, enhance brain health and improve cognitive function. Anthocyanin-rich foods are blueberries, raspberries, grapes, pomegranates, strawberries, beets, and plums.
- Pomegranate Strawberry Smoothie
- Raspberry Overnight Oats
- Waffles with Blueberries and Walnuts
- Scramble Eggs with Spinach, Red Peppers, and Green Onions
- 1 cup Clover Sonoma Organic DHA Omega-3 Milk
- 1 cup strawberries (+ 1 extra for garnish)
- ¼ cup frozen or fresh pomegranate seeds (+ extra Tbsp for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 mint leaves, chopped (optional for garnish)
- Put all the ingredients in a blender. Blend and serve.
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup Clover Sonoma Organic DHA Omega-3 Milk
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 2 Tbsp raspberries
- 1 Tablespoon hemp seeds
- 6 raspberries (3 per serving)
- 2-4 mint leaves, chopped (optional)
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients including oats, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, and raspberries, except for the toppings. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide evenly and pour into two 16-ounce Mason jars. Cover.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight preferably.
- When ready to serve, add hemp seeds, raspberries, and mint as desired.
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cup Clover Sonoma Organic DHA Omega-3 Milk
- ¼ cup Clover Sonoma Cinnamon & Brown Sugar Butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter, vanilla, and baking soda until combined. Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt, and whisk until there are no clumps.
- When the waffle iron is hot, spray it with the cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the center of the waffle iron and let it spread out.
- Close the lid and let it cook until the light on the waffle iron is ready. Every waffle maker is slightly different. But the waffles generally take about 3-4 minutes.
- Once they are done, top with blueberries and walnuts.
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp Clover Sonoma Organic DHA Omega-3 Milk
- 1 Tbsp Clover Sonoma Garlic & Herb Butter
- ½ red bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 green onions, chopped and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, using a whisk, beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until melted. Pour in the egg mixture. Let the eggs gently start to set. Using a spatula, lift and fold the eggs until they thicken more for about 1 minute.
- Add the bell peppers and spinach. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the green onions. Cook until there is no more visible liquid in the eggs. About 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve.
For more Brain Foods, check out my book Brain Food: 10 Simple Foods that will Increase Your Focus, Improve Your Memory, and Decrease Depression.
By SarahKoszyk, MA, RDN