I’m not much of a baker and am the type of person who usually buys premade cake box mixes whenever we need to make a cake. However, when I was visiting my Mom, she served us this homemade Best Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, and it was seriously the best and moistest cake I had ever eaten. I was shocked that she had made it from scratch. She said it was pretty simple to do.
I even watched her make the frosting, which she whipped up in about 3 minutes. We planned a trip for my Mom to visit where we would make the cake together to see how easy it was. And guess what, I’m now a believer in making cakes from scratch. You won’t see me buying too many more cake box mixes. Get ready to devour this rich and delicate Best Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. It’s a super winning recipe for any time you need to make a dessert. (Take note that this is a real cake with calories, so it’s all about portion control and moderation).
- 4 cups grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 2 cups flour (use a spoon to lightly fill the cup with the flour. Do not pack the flour down)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Butter (for greasing the pan)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp 1% or nonfat milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Take out the butter and cream cheese for the frosting and leave on the counter so it gets soft while you are making the cake. Rub butter on a 9x13 Pyrex to grease the glass and prevent the cake from sticking. Make sure to rub the sides of the glass, too.
- Grate the carrots and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt using a spoon.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs so they are fluffy. Add the sugar to the eggs and continue to beat with a mixer for about 1-2 minutes until the sugar and eggs are thickened.
- Next, add the oil, yogurt, and vanilla to the sugar and egg mixture. Mix on high until thoroughly blended.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the wet egg mixture. Beat on low for about 2 minutes until well-mixed. After everything is thoroughly mixed, using a spoon, stir in the grated carrots and mix until well blended.
Pour into the pan. Put it in the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes. The cake will be ready when it pulls away from the sides of the pan and when you lightly press the center, it springs back. Remove from the oven and let completely cool before frosting.
- While the cake is baking in the oven, make the frosting. Add all the frosting ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Starting on low speed, mix the ingredients together until smooth. You can move up to a higher speed as everything begins to blend together.
- Once the cake is cool, spread the frosting on the cake and serve.
For more ridiculously incredible desserts, check out:
White Chocolate Bark
Baked Apple Cake (This recipe is also from my mom)
Ice Cream Cake (This recipe is also from my mom and I eat it every year on my birthday)