Whether you’re heading out for a day hike or a multi-day backpacking trip, snacks are essential. Physical activity results in a lot of expended energy. Snacks will provide you with the nutrients you need to keep on trucking. Here are 7 Healthy Hiking Snacks that will be almost as enjoyable as the views on the trail.
1. Trail mix: This is a classic snack for a good reason. The combination of healthy fats and protein from the nuts and seeds, paired with the sweetness of dried fruits and/or chocolate, will give you the energy boost you need to trek the next few miles ahead.
2. Nuts and seeds: They’re easily portable, have a variety of options, and are filled with healthy protein and fats. Choose your favorites for your next hike and create your own personalized nutty mix.
3. Ready-to-eat tuna salad: Okay, this may sound fishy, but a packet of tuna salad is a tasty, non-perishable source of protein to take along. When paired with a few crackers or bread slices, you have all the healthy fats, protein, and complex carbohydrates accounted for to meet your macronutrient needs.
4. Single-serve nut butter packets: Nut butters are full of goodness – healthy fat, protein, and just the right amount of calories to keep you full and energized. Similar to everything else on this list, there are a variety of options and flavor combinations to satisfy any palate. Pair them with a piece of fruit and you’ve got the perfect balanced snack in your hands.
5. Jerky: This delicious, protein-packed treat will refuel your muscles and satisfy your salt cravings. Since they come in a variety of flavors and sources, choose one that meets your needs and tastes on your next shopping trip. Be careful to not overload on the jerky, however, as it might cause you to drink your entire water supply before you finish your hike.
6. Granola: Fiber from the rolled oats, protein and fat from nuts, and just a hint of sweetness – what’s not to love about granola? It’s easily accessible, customizable, and flavorful whilst providing the energy your body needs. Before your next hike, grab your favorite blend or simply make your own with an assortment of ingredients.
7. Fruit and vegetables: With modern technology, fruits and veggies come in a variety of forms that can easily be packed for a day or multi-day hike. They’re available in its raw forms, dried/dehydrated, or even puréed in ready-made pouches, so pick a few to pack on your next trip. Don’t skimp out on these. They will provide you with essential vitamins and minerals that the other snacks don’t.
Along with these 7 Healthy Hiking Snacks, remember to pack and drink plenty of water, especially in warmer weather. Water is important to prevent dehydration. Enjoy the views. Stay hydrated and energized.
For more snack ideas, check out my book: 365 Snacks for Every Day of the Year. Every snack is under 250 calories and there are snacks for whether you are at home, at work, on the go, at a convenience store (for when traveling), or for your sweet tooth.
For additional posts on snacking, check out:
5 Simple & Fast Homemade Snack Ideas
Snack Attack! 7 Fun & Festive Snack Ideas
5 Favorite Snacks for Work or School
18 Fabulous Back-To-School Snacks Your Kids Can Make
Alexa Tiletile, Dietetic Intern
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!