Ground Turkey with Vegetables and Salsa Verde
Ground Turkey with Vegetables and Salsa Verde is a delicious and nutritious way to get your protein and veggies. This homemade salsa verde is easy to make and adds a sweet and spicy kick to the dish. Make the salsa ahead of time and you have a quick, 15-minute, Mexican-inspired meal.
You can find all the flavor, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and other nutrients in this dish. Get creative and serve this meal with a side of rice, or make a taco, or stuff a potato. Top the recipe with salsa or guacamole for extra flavor and fiesta.
- Salsa Verde:
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 serrano peppers or 2 jalapeño peppers, stem and seeds removed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ red onion, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or more to taste
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- Sautee Ingredients:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 orange bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Salt & Pepper for taste
- Make the salsa verde:
- Dehusk the tomatillos and add them to a pot with the red onion, peppers (leave the seeds in if more heat is desired), and garlic. Fill with water to cover up the tomatillos and let it come to a boil at medium heat. Let the mixture cook until the tomatillos turn from a bright green to a dull green color. About 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain, keeping ¼ cup of the cooking water.
- Put the mixture into a blender with salt, lime juice, and cilantro. Blend with ¼ cup of cooking water or more until you reach the desired consistency. Voila, it’s that simple.
- Make the Sautee:
- Dice the red onion and add to a pan with olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once it becomes translucent, add in the diced bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
- After a few minutes, add the ground turkey and the salsa verde and cook on high heat about 5 minutes. Once, it comes to a boil and the meat is no longer pink, lower the heat and add minced garlic.
- After 2 minutes, turn off the heat and add in two large handfuls of spinach. Stir well and let the heat from the pan wilt the spinach.
Subscribe to Get 10 Snacks to Fuel & Energize You PDF
Get our nutrition newsletter & instant access to the free PDF.