I love sushi. And I love to make it at home. It’s extremely cheap and easy. I tend to make vegetarian rolls so I don’t have to worry about where to buy the fish or if it’s fresh. You can use any type of ingredients inside. This sushi has tofu, cucumber, and carrots. Sometimes I’ll add avocado. Sushi seems very daunting and scary to make. However, it’s actually pretty simple and it’s fun to roll up. My husband and I get into rolling contests to see who can make the tightest roll. This is a great interactive dinner and everyone can be involved. As long as you prep the ingredients, you can have fun making the rolls together.
- Sushi Ingredients:
- 1 cup medium or short-grain rice, uncooked (short grain is better to use. It will make it stickier)
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 Nori seaweed wraps
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced julienne style in long, thin strips
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced julienne style in long, thin strips
- ½ container of tofu lite, cut into long, thin strips, julienne style
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, shredded
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Miso Soup Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp miso paste
- 4 cups water
- ½ container tofu lite, chopped into small squares
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Soy sauce to taste
- 2 cups Edamame (to eat on the side with sushi & miso soup)
Marinate the tofu with 2 Tbsp of the soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
Make the rice in a rice cooker. OR if using stove top, boil 2 cups water in a medium pot. Add the rice and reduce to medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove rice from rice cooker or pot and place in a large bowl. Use a fork to fluff it. Add vinegar and 1 Tbsp soy sauce. Mix together. This is your sticky rice. The vinegar will make the rice stickier. Let the rice cool.
At this time, you can peel and slice the carrot & cucumber.
Lay out 1 piece of nori seaweed.
Place the rice in a long line down the middle of the seaweed sheet the horizontal way (long way). Leave room at the top and bottom to roll up the sushi.
Put 1-2 strips of the carrot, 1 strip of cucumber, and 1 strip of marinated tofu in the middle of the rice.
Start to roll up the sushi.
You can use a mat if you have one.
If you don’t just keep on rolling it up.
Use a little bit of water and slide your finger down the seaweed to get it damp. The water will act like a seal and close your sushi roll just like licking an envelope shut.
Using a sharp knife, cut the sushi into smaller rolls.
- 1 seaweed roll can feed 1 person. Serve with soy sauce.
- MISO SOUP: Boil water. Reduce heat to medium. Whisk miso paste in water. Add tofu and green onions. Serve warm
- Serve the sushi & miso soup with a ½ cup edamame. You can steam the edamame on the stove or cook in a little water in the microwave to warm it up. Add some salt when it’s done cooking.