Real Food for Real People
If you are thinking of working with Sarah, for the love of all things good – DO IT! She meets you exactly where you are, gets to know you in a personal and friendly way, and helps you create a plan that will ACTUALLY work for you. She is always available, even via text at random times of day to help. I recall going out to eat one night and feeling stressed about what to pick, and she literally looked at the menu of the restaurant I was going to and talked me through my thought process – now that is dedication!
When I asked at our initial meeting if there were any foods I couldn’t eat, she said “well, if it’s rotten, don’t eat it.” haha – and that has been a guiding principal for me. I managed to lose 22 lbs in 6 months without running (I hate running) and without cutting anything out of my diet (and while eating chocolate every single day without fail). I have been trying to lose these 20 lbs for FOUR YEARS…so needless to say I am so happy and grateful to have been able to work with Sarah and reach my goal in a sustainable way.
I thought people who lost weight by a balanced diet were full of bananas. Thus, I would try ridiculous diets so I could lose weight super fast (shocker, it always came back). Well, not anymore! Sarah has guided and supported me away from the toxic dieting/guilt binging and into the magical world of balance and nutrition. If you are tired of feeling yucky about your body, energy, and eating habits, and want to make a long term solution, then work with Sarah. You will not regret it, I promise you!
I lost 112.5 pounds in twelve months. Not a typo. In March of 2011, I was wearing 54″ jeans, and 5XL/6XL shirts. By March of 2012, I was wearing 38″ pants, and XL t-shirts. Sixteen inches of waistline. Cholesterol and blood pressure have plummeted.
Here are just a few of the MANY lessons that Sarah taught me along the way:
- portion control. I can look at a piece of meat and tell you how many ounces it is. Now I recognize a single serving of pretty much anything, just by eyeballing it.
- how to food shop. I know what the important parts of the ingredient label are, and what the numbers mean for my health and for my weight loss.
- how to eat out. I hate cooking for one, I eat out a lot. I was able to lose all this weight by eating the overwhelming majority of my lunches and dinners out. I know how to make the smartest choices now.
- how to navigate difficult eating situations like parties, family events, office free-for-alls, and holidays.
I was diagnosed with diverticulitis during my year and Sarah had a bunch of tips for me to help me navigate living with that condition.
- how to spread my caloric intake properly across the day for optimal weight loss.
- how to raise my good cholesterol as my overall cholesterol plummeted due to weight loss and eating better.
I cannot stress the importance of accountability as part of my success. As I tell people all the time: If I can lose 112.5 pounds with the help of Sarah, then you can probably lose 10 or 20 or 50 or more yourself.
Sarah immediately put me at ease. She was sympathetic without being condescending. She listened to me and built a plan around my lifestyle. To you guys out there, don’t feel shy. I know it took a lot for me to go to a dietitian but it really paid off. I am getting a lot of compliments right now for being much slimmer, that outweighs the embarrassment I initially felt!
I really recommend Sarah!
Sarah was great. Here is what I learned:
- how to eat nutritious balanced vegetarian meals
- how to eat in moderation
- how to fuel before morning runs and before a longer race
- how to plan for a nutritious vegetarian backpacking trip
- I lost 25 pounds! (I weigh 127 now.)
- 24 of those lost pounds were fat.
It took me over a year to lose those 25 pounds but it wasn’t painful and I’m confident that I can maintain this weight…and may continue to lose more still! Previously I had read things online, tried an online quick fix (that worked for only about a month, ha!), and exercised more…none of those worked for me. Sarah helped me change my daily food patterns in a way that I can keep for the rest of my life. Thanks!