When I think of the ultimate comfort food dish, I think of this decadent Egg and Vegetable Pasta Bake. This family-favorite, protein-rich, veggie-packed recipe is a complete and well-balanced meal for everyone to enjoy. The cheesy combination mixed with the eggs add so much richness and flavor to the pasta, mouths will water and belly’s will be full. Eggs are also chockful of vitamin D and omega-3s, making this hearty meal both tasty and healthy.
*To quickly peel garlic, use a garlic peeler. It saves time and sticky fingers!
- ½ pound pasta (my favorite is elbow pasta, but any pasta noodle will do)
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced thin
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like more spicy, use 1 tsp)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees bake. Boil the water in a large pot and cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large frying pan, cook the bacon for about 12 minutes until crisp. Remove from heat and pat the bacon with a paper towel to remove some of the extra oil.
- Chop the bacon on a cutting board and set aside.
- Using the same frying pan, drain all but 1 Tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan. Over medium heat, sauté the sliced zucchini in one layer in the pan until tender for about 2 minutes.
- Flip the slices and add the cherry tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook for about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- The pasta should be done and ready to drain in a colander.
- Use the same large pot, add the eggs, milk, parmesan cheese, and lemon zest. Whisk together to blend.
- Add the pasta, vegetable mixture, and bacon. Stir all the ingredients together and mix well.
- Spoon everything into a 9x13 glass baking dish. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove tinfoil and bake for 10 more minutes so the top of the noodles get a little crunchy.
- Remove from the oven and cut into 8 slices. Serve.
For more comfort-food pasta recipes, check out:
**There are affiliate links in this post and I will be compensated if you buy the products using these links BUT there is no extra charge to you!
By Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN