White Bean and Parsnip Winter Soup
January is National Soup Month, so cozy up and celebrate with this White Bean and Parsnip Winter Soup. Parsnips are similar to carrots, but provide a richer and slightly sweeter flavor when cooked. They are also a great alternative to potatoes with less starch and more vitamins and minerals.
This soup provides the satisfaction of a creamy soup but with less guilt. Blending the cannellini beans (also known as white beans) with the parsnips will give a smooth, creamy consistency without using dairy. I like my soups slightly chunky, so I pureed about ¾ of it and mixed it in with what was left in the pot. Enjoy this hearty soup and stay warm this winter.
- 3 parsnips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Parsnip chips:
- Thinly shaved parsnip slices
- Olive oil spray
- Salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and peel parsnips. To make parsnip chips, use a vegetable peeler to thinly shave a length-sized slice. Use a little more pressure than when you peeled to achieve a thick slice.
- Make 6-8 slices and lay flat on a baking sheet. Use olive oil spray to coat both sides and lightly salt.
Now prep the parsnips for the soup. Cube the parsnips. On a separate baking sheet, toss the cubed parsnips with garlic, rosemary, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and a dash of salt.
- Place both the parsnip chips and cubed parsnips in the oven. After 5 minutes, check on parsnip chips. Cook until the center is crispy and edges are golden brown, about 6-7 minutes. Roast cubes parsnips for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- In a large pot, add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and bring to medium high heat. Dice onion and transfer to pot. Cook onions until soft and tender. Add vegetable broth and bay leaf. Bring to a low boil. Add cannellini beans and roasted parsnips and simmer for 15 minutes.
Carefully transfer ¾ of the soup to a blender and puree. You may need to do so in batches. Puree soup to desired consistency. Mix the pureed soup with the remaining ¼ of the chunky soup. Ladle into bowls, top with 2 parsnip chips, and serve warm.
Never Miss The Fiesta
Get 10 Snacks To Fuel & Energize You (it's FREE)!