Star Spangled Quinoa Salad
One of my favorite ways to celebrate the 4th – in addition to fiestas and fireworks with friends and family – is with festive, flag-inspired food like this Star Spangled Quinoa Salad.
Quinoa’s versatility shines in this flavorful side featuring sweet red strawberries, tangy blueberries, and white slivers of almonds. The berries are packed with vitamins and antioxidants. The quinoa and nuts are full of fiber and plant-based protein. The ground flaxseed adds a boost of omega-3s. The dish is brought together with a pop of lemon and a burst of honey. Perfect for a patriotic picnic. Happy Birthday, America!
- 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 ½ cups fresh strawberries (about 15 large strawberries)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about the juice from one large lemon)
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp flaxseed meal
- 1 pinch of salt
- Optional garnish: fresh mint leaves
- Add 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water to a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook quinoa for 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork when done.
Meanwhile, wash, de-stem, and slice strawberries. Prepare dressing by whisking together fresh-squeezed lemon juice, honey, balsamic vinegar, ground flaxseed, and salt. Adjust taste to make more sour (add lemon) or sweet (add honey).
Add strawberries, blueberries, almonds, and dressing to the cooled quinoa, mixing gently to combine. Garnish with fresh mint and serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Never Miss The Fiesta
Get 10 Snacks To Fuel & Energize You (it's FREE)!