St. Patty’s Day Swaps: Green Smoothie & Sweet Potato Boxty
Get ready for some healthy St. Patty’s Day Swaps: Green Smoothie & Sweet Potato Boxty.
These two easy swaps will allow you to eat, drink, and be cheery this holiday, with a nutritious twist. Both are delicious alternatives that you, your family, and your friends will enjoy. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- One small, ripe banana
- ¾ cup of spinach
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 1 tsp chocolate chips
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- 2 ice cubes
- ½ cup milk of your choice (I chose vanilla soy milk)
- Garnish (optional):
- Chia or hemp seeds
- Cocoa nibs or chopped chocolate chips
- Sprig of mint
- Add banana, spinach, mint leaves, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and ice cubes to a blender. Next, add the milk of your choice, about ½ cup. Blend together until smooth. Serve in a glass. Top with chia or hemp seeds, chopped chocolate chips, and a sprig of mint for garnish.
- 3-4 peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Topping (optional):
- Crème fraiche
- Chives or green onions
Cut half the sweet potatoes into large cubes and place in a pot of salted, boiled water. Bring to a boil and cook through until the potatoes are soft and can be pierced with a fork. Meanwhile, using a metal cheese grater, grate the remaining half of the potatoes.
- Drain the boiled potatoes when cooked, then add the milk and garlic. Mash thoroughly to mashed potato consistency. In a large mixing bowl, add the mashed potatoes, grated potatoes, egg, flour, salt and pepper. Fold until completely incorporated.
In a large non-stick skillet, spray olive oil and melt butter over medium-high heat. Using a spoon, add a golf ball sized amount of the potato mixture to the hot pan, about 3 each.
Use the back of the spoon to flatten the ball so that the mixture spreads about 3 inches in diameter.
Cook for 5 minutes on one side or until crisp and golden brown. Then carefully flip using a spatula. Cook another 5 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a baking sheet. These can be kept in a 200° F oven to stay warm until batter runs out.
Top sweet potato pancakes with a dollop of crème fraiche and chopped chives or green onions. Serve warm.
Subscribe to Get 10 Snacks to Fuel & Energize You PDF
Get our nutrition newsletter & instant access to the free PDF.