Spiced Carrot Hummus
I am a huge fan of dips and spicy food. Spiced Carrot Hummus wowed my socks off. You can make it as spicy or mild as you want by adding in more or less cayenne.
So for those people who prefer mild flavored foods, you will still love this recipe. Get ready for a delicious twist on the classic hummus using carrots, potatoes, and cheddar cheese instead. Yes – cheddar cheese! It’s delish.
- 1 pound of carrots
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp agave (or honey)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 cups water
- 1 5-inch (10 ounce) russet potato
- 1 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup hot water
- 3 Tbsp drained capers
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped Sicillian style pitted green olives (with the red pepper inside)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- ¼ - ½ tsp cayenne pepper (use ¼ tsp for more mild; for spicier use ½ tsp)
- Salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil for drizzling
- Additional green olives for garnish
- Celery, cucumbers, red bell peppers, and/or pita bread for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel and cut the carrots into 4-inch rounds. In a large bowl, toss the carrots with the olive oil, agave, cumin and allspice. Cover a baking sheet with tinfoil (for easier cleanup). Spread an even layer of the carrots on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until browned and tender.
- In the meantime, add 2 cups of water to a small pot and boil the water. Peel the potato and cut into large chunks. Add the potato to the boiling water and cook the potato for 8 minutes until soft. Remove from the heat and drain.
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients including the boiled potato, roasted carrots, and salt to taste. Pulse until smooth. While pulsing, drizzle the 3 Tbsp of olive oil to add more liquid and make the dip smoother. Scrape the sides of the food processor as needed to blend everything. Once smooth, remove from the food processor and put in a serving bowl.
- Garnish with additional green olives. Serve with celery sticks, other cut vegetables, or pita bread.
Subscribe to Get 10 Snacks to Fuel & Energize You PDF
Get our nutrition newsletter & instant access to the free PDF.