New Year’s Eve Theme Party: Backyard Bar-B-Que
We love theme parties for New Year’s Eve. Every holiday we throw an intimate dinner party for 10-15 people where we just relax. Eat a multitude of courses for a few hours. Enjoy a food and drink tasting activity. Then top the night off with some explosive professional fireworks. I’m really looking forward to this New Year’s Eve theme party: Backyard Bar-B-Que.
Here’s the MENU:
Five Bean Baked Chili
Red Cabbage Slaw with Lemon Dressing
Homemade Baked French Fries
Baked Tofu (for the vegetarian friends and we’re using the same dry rub as the beef brisket)
5 different Bar-B-Que Sauces to taste
Individual Ice Cream Cakes
Blind Drink Tasting:
*How to host a blind drink tasting activity:
- Pick 5 different brands of the same type of booze.
- For the whiskey, we chose Gentleman’s Jack, Pendleton, Rogue Dead Guy, Bulleit, and Jameson
- Pour 5 little shots for each person (Serving size is a ¼ of an ounce. You can get drunk later and drink the rest of your bottle of choice! This activity is about tasting the difference)
- Label each shot #1 – #5 in order of what you are pouring
- Hide the bottles so your guests do not know which bottle corresponds to which number
- Provide each person with a piece of paper and a pen
- Have each person taste #1 and write down what they think regarding aroma, color, flavor, taste
- Chase each taste with water to cleanse the palate
- Continue on like this with #2 – #5
- After all 5 tastings, review your answers with one another and show them which drink they liked the best and least
- Many times, people are very surprised at their results.
We’ll be providing everyone with 5 different bar-b-que sauces to both dip their French fries in and add to their brisket/tofu.
*Whenever you do a taste test, you should start from light to heavy, sweet to spicy, or mild to pungent, so as not to overwhelm the palate and provide the taster with a progressive experience.
I hope you all have a fabulous New Year’s Eve. Thank you for all your support throughout the years. I appreciate your comments, feedback, and correspondence.
Comment below and let me know what you plan to do for NYE.
For more tasting theme party ideas and how to throw one, check out past posts:
- How We’re Celebrating New Year’s Eve with Mustard, Beer, & Pretzels
- Five Fabulous New Year’s Eve Party Theme Menus For Foodies
Happy New Year! Let the celebration begin!
Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN
Never Miss The Fiesta
Get 10 Snacks To Fuel & Energize You (it's FREE)!