Memorial Day Menu Ideas & Healthy Holiday Tips
The holidays are just flying by this spring! Memorial Day is here and it’s time for some fantastic menu ideas. Whether you are camping (like we are), boating (like we are), or having a bar-b-cue (like we are), you want to have fun while keeping that beach-body figure. Here are some Memorial Day menu ideas plus healthy tips.
Menu Idea #1: Grill it up!
- You can make delicious, healthy versions of burgers by using 96% fat free ground beef! It’s all about seasoning the meat before putting it on the grill. Get my favorite burger recipe.
- Try grilling salmon or another fish! We’re having some delicious grilled salmon fillets on Saturday night. Simply salt/pepper the salmon. Squeeze some lemon juice on it. Wrap the salmon with sliced lemons and chopped cilantro (or any herb such as dill, Italian flat leaf parsley, etc) in tinfoil and put it on the grill for some delicious cooking. You can also put the salmon directly on the grill, but I prefer using a fish rack for less mess.
- Grilled fruit! Yummy! You can grill pineapple, plums, peaches, or nectarines. Grilled fruit makes a delicious, healthy dessert.
Menu Idea #2: Snack Attack!
- All the munching and snacking over the weekend with chips, dips, snack foods and more can result in some serious caloric intake. Here’s what we’re bringing camping & boating this weekend:
- Beef Jerky
- Homemade Hummus
- Vegetable platter with baby carrots, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, red peppers, and celery
- Pretzel thins
- My tip: When hungry for your snack, fill up your plate with what you want. Then, walk away from the mindless munching. This one-plate trick will help with portion control.
Menu Idea #3: Drinks!
- Stay hydrated this weekend! Drink water, sparkling water, or water with natural flavor that you made. You can always add watermelon chunks, lemon slices, or cucumber slices to your water pitchers for some thirst-quenching flavor.
- Watch the alcohol! That’s always a calorie-killer. Figure out what your drink goal is for each day and stick to your plan. For example, are you having 1 drink per day? 2? 3? Set a realistic goal and you’ll feel fabulous.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! I’m so excited to share it with my family & in-laws!
Any exciting plans?
By Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN
Never Miss The Fiesta
Get 10 Snacks To Fuel & Energize You (it's FREE)!