Hearty Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers with Brown Rice and Mung Beans
American, Autumn, Baking, Casserole, Cooking Methods, Course, Cuisine, Dinner, Gluten-Free, Health and Diet, Low-Carb, Low-Sugar, Lunch, Main Dish, Meals, Mediterranean, Recipes, Season, Spring, Stovetop, Summer, Type of Dish, Vegetarian, Winter
Meatless Monday: Hearty Stuffed Bell Peppers with Brown Rice & Mung Beans (Vegan)
These stuffed bell peppers are perfect for Meatless Mondays. I prepare the rice stuffing and stuff the actual peppers on Sunday. Then, Monday evening, when I come home from work, I just pop the stuffed peppers in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. It’s a great make-ahead dish.
Author: Sarah Koszyk
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, American
- 6 bell peppers, 4 green and 2 yellow (or you can use all green)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup dried mung beans (or you can use another bean such as dried lentils. If you choose black beans or garbanzo beans, get them from a can: already ready-to-eat)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and finely diced
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- ½ cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- (***For a non-vegan version, you can also use ¼ shredded parmesan cheese OR 6 oz. feta cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 350° Bake.
- Put the water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice and beans (if using canned beans, just add the rice and reduce water to 1 cup), cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until all the water is absorbed: about 30 minutes.
- While the rice/beans are cooking, cut the tops off the peppers. Scoop out the insides and throw away the seeds.
- Parboil the 6 peppers in 1-inch of water for about 4 minutes.
- Remove from water and drain upside down.
- Spray a large saucepan with an oil spray. Add the red onion, carrot, celery, tomatoes, and jalapeno. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Take off the heat and put in a large bowl.
- When the rice mixture is done cooking, add the rice/beans to the bowl.
- Add the basil, parsley, vinegar, salt & pepper, and stir all ingredients together. If using Parmesan or feta cheese, add that, also, to the bowl.
- Using a cooking spray, spray a 9 x 13 Pyrex glass and line up the peppers.
- Last of all, spoon the mixture into the peppers. (This is the step which you can stop if eating the stuffed peppers the next day).
- Bake the peppers for 20 minutes with the tops on. Remove the tops and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Bon appétit!
Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper Calories: 187 Fat: 1.2 Saturated fat: 0.3 Carbohydrates: 38.1 Sugar: 10.5 Sodium: 40.4 Fiber: 7.6 Protein: 7.6 Cholesterol: 0
Never Miss The Fiesta
Get 10 Snacks To Fuel & Energize You (it's FREE)!