Grandma’s Chicken Avala
American, Autumn, Baking, Breakfast, Course, Cuisine, Dinner, Easter, Health and Diet, Holiday, Low-Carb, Low-Sugar, Main Dish, Meals, One-Pot Meals, Recipes, Season, Spring, Summer, Type of Dish, Winter
Grandma's Chicken Avala
This is another fabulous recipe from my Grandma. It’s perfect to make ahead with all the ingredients and heat-up when you are ready to serve. We eat this for Sunday brunch a lot because you can make it the night before, then just throw in the oven the day of the party. It was a hit at our gathering this past Sunday where there were 10 of us together.
Author: Grandma Zaninovich
Recipe type: Breakfast, Lunch, Entree, Brunch
- 8 chicken breasts, shredded
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can light cream of mushroom soup, 98% fat free
- 1 can light cream of chicken soup, 98% fat free
- 1 cup soy, 1%, or nonfat milk
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 cans green Ortega chiles
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 pound shredded cheddar cheese (75% fat free Cabot Cheddar Cheese)
- Bake chicken breasts covered with tin foil for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Remove from oven and shred chicken.
- Layer shredded chicken and tortillas with all ingredients except cheese.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Refrigerate for 24-hours. (this is great for make-ahead).
- Bake for 1.5 hours at 300-325 degrees, or until bubbly.
Serving size: 5 oz chicken + 1 tortilla Calories: 306 Fat: 7.2 Saturated fat: 3.1 Carbohydrates: 22 Sugar: 2.6 Sodium: 883 Fiber: 2.7 Protein: 38 Cholesterol: 73.1
Subscribe to Get 10 Snacks to Fuel & Energize You PDF
Get our nutrition newsletter & instant access to the free PDF.