Low Fat French Onion Soup (made healthy)
American, Autumn, Dinner, Health and Diet, Lunch, Meals, Mediterranean, One-Pot Meals, Recipes, Side Dish, Soup, Stovetop, Type of Dish, Winter
French Onion Soup
I love French Onion Soup. It's cheap and simple and only needs a few ingredients. Perfect on a cold day.
Author: Taken from: Donna Hay, “Modern Classics: Book One”
Recipe type: Soup
- 8 brown onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 Tbsp brandy
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 8 cups (3½ pints) beef stock
- 2 cup (16 ounces) water
- Cover the cook the onions, oil and thyme in a large saucepan for 35 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally so the onions don't burn. They'll look soft and golden when done.
- Stir in the flour for 3 minutes.
- Put in the brandy and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the mustard, stock and water and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Fast, Quick, Delicious.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 230 Fat: 2.9 Saturated fat: 0.4 Carbohydrates: 39.2 Sugar: 23.9 Sodium: 789 Fiber: 4.1 Protein: 10.1 Cholesterol: 0
Subscribe to Get 10 Snacks to Fuel & Energize You PDF
Get our nutrition newsletter & instant access to the free PDF.