5 Tips To Eat A Healthier Sandwich
Who doesn’t love a good sandwich? They’re good on the go, easy to make, and hard to get wrong. Unfortunately, if you’re not careful, even the simplest sandwich can be packed with hundreds of calories. Here are 5 Tips to Eat a Healthier Sandwich.
- Load up on the veggies: Instead of adding extra cheese or meat, pack on the veggies. They’re delicious, packed with fiber, and will keep you feeling satiated. Add lettuce, tomato, onions, pepperoncinis, sprouts, mixed greens, cucumbers, and more to your sandwich.
- Careful with the spreads: Spreads like aioli, mayonnaise, and ranch dressing are very high in fat and calories. One Tablespoon of aioli has 97 calories and 11 grams of fat. Some better options include mustard and vinegars which are low in fat and calories.
- Portion sizes: Share a sandwich with a friend or save half the sandwich for later.
- Choose lean meats: Certain deli meats are higher in fat and calories. Choose lean meats like turkey, roast beef, or ham. They are all lower in fat and calories. Meats that are much higher in fat and calories include beef pastrami, salami, bologna, and mortadella. Any type of poultry is usually a good choice. However, watch out for the chicken and tuna salads that may be full of mayonnaise.
- Choose the right sandwich sides: A sandwich is usually not complete without a bag of chips and a soda. However, this combination is not the healthiest. Cut out these two things and your meal with be less calorically dense. Must have chips? Try them baked. For your beverage, try unsweetened iced tea or water. Add a little flavor to your water with a spritz of lemon.
With so many options and so little time, it can be hard to make healthy choices when it comes to food.
Following these simple tips will help avoid extra calories without losing the tastiness of a good sandwich.
Here are some Sandwich Recipes:
Chicken Bullet Bread Italian Sandwich
Chicken Torta – The Latin Sandwich
Pulled Turkey Sandwiches with Cabbage and Carrot Slaw
Liz Rodriguez, Dietetic Intern
Subscribe to Get 10 Snacks to Fuel & Energize You PDF
Get our nutrition newsletter & instant access to the free PDF.