5 Delicious Wrap Ideas For Lunch
Wraps are so much fun and can have as much variety as a sandwich. The possibilities of what we put in a wrap are endless. Your kids can make a wrap as a quick snack after school or as a meal. Check out some of the wild and zany mixes of ingredients many kids told me that they love to combine when making their wraps.
- 1 Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla OR
- 1 Flat-Out Wrap
Fillers for the wrap:
- Classic Wrap: Spread Cream Cheese or Hummus over the entire tortilla/wrap, Add sliced Tomato, Add 1 Leaf of Lettuce, Add 1 Turkey OR Ham Slice. Wrap it up!
- BBQ Bash: Spread Bar-B-Cue Sauce over entire tortilla/wrap, Add 1 slice Cheddar Cheese, Add 1 Chicken Deli Slice. Wrap it up!
- Mexican Fiesta: Put 2 slices of Cheddar Cheese on the tortilla/wrap (you can melt this in the microwave), 1 Tbsp Salsa (put on after taking out of microwave), 1 Tbsp Guacamole (if have it and if kid likes avocadoes), 1 Tbsp chopped Olives. Wrap it up!
- Tuna Time: (this is age-appropriate for a child who can cut with a knife and has adult supervision. The parent can always make the tuna before, so the child has it in the fridge). Mix the Tuna with some Plain Low-Fat Greek Yogurt, 1 tsp Chopped Pickles, ½ of a finely chopped Celery stick, ½ tsp Mustard, 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (make it simple and use it from a bottle) and 1 tsp dried Dill. Mix all of the above ingredients. Now spread it on your tortilla/wrap and add sliced apples from ½ an apple + 1 giant leaf of lettuce. You can eat the other apple slices on the side. You have a gourmet tuna wrap!
- PBB: Yes, a major vote of approval was the Peanut Butter and Banana Wrap. Simply spread the Peanut Butter over the tortilla/wrap. Next slice the banana down the middle so you have 2 long slices. Lay the banana over the peanut butter and wrap it up! Simple and Delicious! (Some kids even liked adding a drizzle of honey over the banana for a sweeter dessert-like wrap).
When it comes down to it, you can add ANY ingredient to your wraps and have fun! What are you going to wrap about today?
By Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN
Subscribe to Get 10 Snacks to Fuel & Energize You PDF
Get our nutrition newsletter & instant access to the free PDF.