10 Ways To Get A Free Outdoor Workout (With Your Kids)
Summer is here and the weather has been gorgeous. Time to get outside and be active. Take advantage of the few months we have of nice weather. Here are 10 ways to get a free outdoor workout (with your kids) and enjoy the sunshine. No more sitting around the house watching TV or playing video games.
- Go for a hike – Hiking is a fabulous way to enjoy nature while having some nice conversation.
- Play kickball or soccer in a park – Going to a park is free activity and a simple ball can encourage running around.
- Play tag outside – Tag is a quick way to encourage running around and chasing your kids.
- Jump Rope – Jumping rope is a really great workout and requires stamina and coordination skills. You can also play Chinese jump rope with your kids, too, so that someone has a break while the other person is jumping around.
- Visit the zoo – Surprisingly enough, walking can be a decent workout. A walk around the zoo can easily complete your goal of 10,000 daily steps.
- Wash the car – You can wash the car and the kids can help and play with the water. Doing chores burns energy and this workout is great for those super hot days.
- Go for a bike ride or a scooter ride – These are great activities where you can pack your kids on your bike or ride alongside of them.
- Go Swimming – Swimming is one of my favorite past times. If you live by an ocean, you are lucky. If not, find a local pool or water park and have some fun.
- Take the Stairs – Go to a park or place which has a ton of stairs to climb up and down. Do some sprints with your kids. You’ll all be exhausted by the end of the hour.
- Fitness Scavenger Hunt – Design your own scavenger hunt where you do an activity at each designated spot. For example, if you are in a park, run to the Park Bench and do 5-10 push-ups. Next, go to the Slide and do another quick activity like 5-10 jumping jacks. Set up at least 5 designated areas where you have to perform an activity at each area for the hunt.
The most important part of outdoor activities is to have as much fun as possible and enjoy your time with your loved ones. Stay hydrated!
Sarah Koszyk, MA, RDN
Never Miss The Fiesta
Get 10 Snacks To Fuel & Energize You (it's FREE)!